Sewing · Uncategorized

Knickers to you, madam!

Have been meaning to update the blog for ages. But it’s the end of a busy, busy term at school and I’ve hardly had any time! But I wanted to tell you all about my knickers!

How rude! I do, of course, refer to knickers what I have made myself, madam!

For ages I have been wanting to do the makeplace knicker making workshop. I do like cute knickers and fancied the DIY route! I attended the course as I was a bit nervous of going it alone! I enjoyed it and was really pleased with the results. Although on the downside, thought it was a bit pricey. £39.50  for the two and a half hour course. On the day, it only lasted a hour and a half, presumably as there were only 4 people attending. And I thought for the price, they could have included a cuppa and a free pattern to reproduce the knickers at home. If I ran workshops, there would always be lots of cups of tea!

These are my new pants, handmade by me! I love the colour combination (pistachio andIMG_5586 strawberry ice cream?!)  IMG_5587 IMG_5588

So, yes, those there were proficient enough sewers to be able to make their own pattern from the knickers they’d made. But I think it would have been nice to have provided a free one so as to save a little bit of time having to draft one. I was really pleased with them, though, and quite taken with the idea that they can be made out of upcycled clothing. So on the way home, I bought some more lace and then found a 50p top from the charity shop that I thought I’d chop up.

I made another pair! Both are very comfy and I plan to make several more. I have bought some stripey jersey fabric ready for it! Has anyone else ventured into underwear?

IMG_5591 IMG_5595 IMG_5596 IMG_5600 IMG_5601

 

Advertisements
Sewing

DIY applique – or How to cover up a boo-boo!

I made this denim skirt several weeks ago during the summer (Tilly and the Buttons Delphine pattern).

Delphine number 1 - in denim
Delphine in denim

I was pleased with how it turned out (lovely shape!) but after trying it on a few times, realised that the ‘give’ in it was annoying me and I had made it a little too big. I needed to adjust it slightly from the waist through to the hem and so I did. But in the process, because I was hurrying to finish it, I stuck my seam ripper through the fabric by mistake and left a little hole…eek!  I tried darning it but it’s a heavy weave denim and so it just started fraying. Oh no! What to do? Never mind, thought I, nobody will notice. So I hung it in my wardrobe.

Well, it’s been hanging in my wardrobe ever since, and every time I go to wear it, I realise that the little nick is really noticeable and frankly looks rubbish. So finally today, I decided to sort it out. I’m not wearing it, so even if it went a bit wrong, what did I have to  lose?!

Oh dear - pretty noticeable 'nick'!
Oh dear – pretty noticeable ‘nick’!

I do love a bit of applique, so had a quick think and a browse through my many craft books for some inspiration. I thought about foxes and giraffes, trailing vines and spots. But finally I settled on flowers, sixties-stylee. I rummaged through my scrap box (always keep little scraps – they do come in soooo useful for many bits and pieces!) I chose a few pieces and drew a freehand flower shape and went to work.

I cut 5 shapes for the front (in different fabrics) and arranged them. I then decided it needed to have flowers on the back too, so I cut a further 5 flower shapes for the back. I ironed on Bondaweb to the fabric and cut the shapes out.

Iron the bondaweb on the reverse of the fabric, then draw the shape and cut it out.
Iron the bondaweb on the reverse of the fabric, then draw the shape and cut it out.
I cut out 10 flower shapes altogether.
I cut out 10 flower shapes altogether.

I then stitched the flower shapes on. I do like doing ‘proper’ applique with beautiful satin stitches around the edges. But I also like the folksy-style of straight-stitched edges that are then allowed to fray. So I did it that way, because I think denim is quite a casual fabric and lends itself to a bit of folksy-style decoration! I wanted a random placement of flowers as the nick was next to the seam!

Stitching the flowers on.
Stitching the flowers on.

Well, it took me about an hour and a half (including going downstairs to make a cup of tea!) and I am quite pleased with the finished result, front and back. Hopefully I’ll get lots of wear out of it.

Let me know what you think! I’d also love to see any of your rescue remedies for when things don’t go quite right with your sewing!

The front
The front
The back
The back